[tiImage width=”300″ height=”450″ url=”http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2011/wrn/012011-obama-400.jpg” credit=”AP photo (2)” align=”right” border=”1″ alt=”Michelle Obama in Alexander McQueen and Roksanda Ilincic”]First Lady Michelle Obama attended two events at the White House yesterday honoring the Republic of China and the country’s president Hu Jintao. In the morning, she wore a Roksanda Ilincic dress and matching coat, which she accented with a pair of patent leather red gloves. For the evening’s state dinner, she opted for an Alexander McQueen red gown with black brushstrokes from the 2011 resort collection. Her choice of red wasn’t an accident—red is the traditional color of good luck and happiness in China. Also at the dinner was Vera Wang, Michelle Kwan and Barbra Streisand.
[tiImage width=”300″ height=”400″ url=”http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2011/wrn/011711-portman-williams-300×400.jpg” credit=”Jordan Strauss/WireImage; Jason Merritt/Getty” align=”right” border=”1″ alt=””]
The red carpet fashion at the 2011 Critics’ Choice Awards on Friday night featured a pop of winter whites. Best Actress winner Natalie Portman wore a single-strap white Gianfranco Ferré gown with a black band at the top, and paired it with Fred Leighton jewelry, Stella McCartney shoes and a Christian Dior clutch. Michelle Williams also chose white, her variation being a Balenciaga dress with embroidered floral details. She finished the look with Salvatore Ferragamo shoes and Neil Lane jewelry. Click through the gallery to see all the looks from the 2011 Critics’ Choice Awards.
[tiImage width=”623″ height=”400″ url=”http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2011/wrn/011611-milla-623.jpg” credit=”Getty Images ” align=”center” border=”1″ alt=”Elizabeth Moss Angelina Jolie Catherine Zeta-Jones Mila Kunis”]
Shades of green paraded down the Golden Globes red carpet, making it one of the top trends of the evening. “I feel green looks great on many different people, it truly illuminates who you are,” stylist Estee Stanley—who dressed Mad Men‘s Elisabeth Moss in a hunter green gown by Donna Karan—told InStyle exclusively. “Last year, there were few jewel tones. So this year they came back with a vengeance.” Indeed they did: Catherine Zeta-Jones wore a strapless forest green Monique Lhuillier dress; Mila Kunis chose an emerald one-shoulder Vera Wang look; and Angelina Jolie shined a long-sleeved glittering green Versace gown encrusted with Swarovski crystals. How do you like to wear green? Tell us in the comments!
MORE! Check out the full Golden Globes red-carpet trend report.
[tiImage width=”300″ height=”450″ url=”http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2011/wrn/011611-milla-300.jpg” credit=”Getty Images ” align=”right” border=”1″ alt=”Mila Kunis”]
Mila Kunis didn’t pick a dress off the runway or off the rack for her Golden Globes appearance, where she was nominated for Best Supporting Actress. It was all custom. “This dress came as a sketch,” the Black Swan actress told us at the Critics Choice Awards in Los Angeles, where she was dressed in a black Nini Ricci look. “We had tried on other dresses. Then, this sketch came in and we thought the sketch was beautiful. In four days, this person made the dress, and whipped it up!” Kunis’s custom creation turned out to be an emerald green one-shoulder gown by Vera Wang (shown). How speedy Wang was in creating her beautiful look!
— Sharon Clott, with reporting by Lindzi Scharf
[tiImage width=”300″ height=”400″ url=”http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2010/wrn/121610-LTL-300.jpg” credit=”Courtesy of Celebuzz; Courtesy of DVF; Courtesy of the New York Times; Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic; Sylvain Gaboury/PatrickMcMullan.com/Sipa” align=”right” border=”1″ alt=””]1. The Kardashian-Jenner family’s annual, er, Khristmas card is over-the-top this year, just like them. [CNN]
2. Diane von Furstenberg says that Richard Nixon’s daughter, Julie, inspired her famous wrap dress. [Fashionista]
3. “Dry brushing” is the latest form of exfoliation used in spas everywhere. Sound soothing to you? [NY Times]
4. Mindy Kaling on liking fashion as a comedy writer: “If you wear shoes with a two-inch heel, people ask, ‘Where are you going?’” Hi-lar.[WWD]
5. This video shows everything about the costumes and makeup behind Black Swan. Gripping, we tell you! [Grazia]
6. Surprise! Martha Stewart and designer Vera Wang stopped by White Castle in New York. Yes, that White Castle. [Elle]
[tiImage width=”300″ height=”400″ url=”http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2010/wrn/121310-ltl-400.jpg” credit=”Courtesy of Fox; Getty Images (4); Ramey Photo” align=”right” border=”1″ alt=””]1. Gwyneth Paltrow will return to Glee. Hooray! [Access Hollywood]
2. Judges for the Miss America pageant on January 15th will include Joy Behar, Marilu Henner and Dancing With the Stars choreographer Tony Dovolani. [NY Post]
3. Vera Wang showed off her sporty side by sitting courtside at a New York Knicks game with figure skater Evan Lysacek. [Coco Perez]
4. ‘Whip My Hair’ singer Willow Smith has a new hairstyle, a bowlcut bob, which is not whippable in the least. [Stylelite]
5. New engagements! Susan Surandon’s daughter, actress Eva Amurri will wed boyfriend Kyle Martino, and Lauren Bush is now engaged to Ralph Lauren’s son David. [Just Jared]
6. Johnny Depp wears so many clothes at once—not a bad thing, since he coordinates so well. [MTV]
[tiImage width=”300″ height=”400″ url=” http://img2.timeinc.net/instyle/images/2010/wrn/120810-vera-300.jpg ” credit=” Jemal Countess/Getty Images” align=”right” border=”1″ alt=””]Vera Wang is expanding her empire with a line of affordable cosmetics. The designer announced today that she will launch a collection of makeup, skincare and body products for Kohl’s, where her Simply Vera label is sold. The extension is a natural fit, Wang explained in a press release: “Like fashion, makeup is also transformational. I love the artistry of makeup to accentuate, enhance or create a mood for any time of day or occasion.” According to the designer, the line, which launches in spring 2012, will be, “an easy, light, modern and effortless approach to beauty and creativity.”
MORE! Read what Vera Wang says about Leighton Meester, the face of her newest scent.